Saturday, March 9, 2013

Basic Training - Playing With Mists

Welcome to Today's Basic Training!

Playing With Mists!

Some of you may be very familiar with mists, and use them on your layouts or cards all the time.  Some of you may have never used mists at all.  Today I am going to show you a couple of fun, different ways to use mists. 

First of all, there are several different brands of mists you can buy, or you can make your own.  If I don't have, or can't find, the color I want to use, I make my own.  If you need the recipe for homemade mists, please click HERE to visit the tutorial section on my blog.

OK, let's get started!!

You will want to use some kind of mat.  This can get pretty messy, and the overspray seems to travel.  Play around with this on some scrap paper first, to get the exact "look" you want.

You can randomly mist on your paper. 


You can use a mask or stencil.  It can be placed anywhere on your page.  Once again, play around with it.


If you don't have any stencils, you can make your own.  All of us have chipboard shapes waiting to be used. You can place one, or several shapes around your page and spray away!  And, once you are finished spraying, you have some pretty colorful chipboard shapes you can use. 


You can also make your title on your page with a couple of sprays!  I have a set of raw chipboard letters that I save for this purpose.  I think it adds a great touch to a layout!






You can also use your mist to add splatters to your pages.  Take the top off of the bottle and "tap" or "flick".  Depending on how much you want to splatter, you may have to dip back in the bottle for more ink. 

As you can see, there are so many different ways to apply misting to your project!  Get creative!  If you are a pro, then try a new technique.  If you have never used mists before, I hope that you give it a try!

Here is my project for "playing with mists".  I sprayed the title, and also sprayed a piece of chipboard to add to the center of my heart, in the word "love".  I also misted the larger doily.
 


We would love to see your newly created misting project!  Submit a project showcasing your misting, for a chance at becoming our featured S.W.A.T. girl.  One winner will be chosen from all of the entries.  Be sure and link up your project using Mr. Linky.  Have fun, and be creative!!

~Melinda
 



7 comments:

  1. Fabulous tutorial and great ideas Melinda! I loved the one with the negatives of the chipboard shapes. I think I hear an idea forming!! TFS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to play with my mists more frequently lately. Hadn't thought to do a negative title, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love misting now that I've tried it.....I will have to do another layout to submit for this challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea for letters...never thought of that. I will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I love using the negatives never thought of that want a new spin you just put out there.. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea. Love the misted title. I love to mist on my pages but haven't done a title yet. It's on my list now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. fun misting ideas.. great sample page .. love the colours

    ReplyDelete