Saturday, February 22, 2014

Special Ops: Altered Item


Washi Tape Storage
 
Today's project is all about storing  displaying your washi tape collection.
I've seen extensive discussons in scrappy groups on the best way to store washi, but so few of them let me get to the EXACT roll of tape I want quickly. While out thrifting with a friend
 I found the perfect solution to my dilema.
 
This nic-nac shelf had lost its glass front and was shoved to the bottom of a $1 box. A good deal always makes the best altered item so I snatched it up.
I knew if I put acrylic paint straight on the wood it would soak in unevenly. I had a spray can of Rust-Oleum in gold and decided to go with that. Because of our sub-zero temps I can't paint outside. So, I lined my bathtub with cardboard and plastic and gave this beauty 2 coats.
(SHHHHHH don't tell the landlord!)
Once it dried I added white acrylic paint to the sections in an artsy pattern and then painted all the cross bars white. This left the hinge and latch sections of the shelf still showing.
But I had a PLAN!
Being a paper crafter means punches and I'm particularly fond of border punches. I punched strips of black paper, backed them with white and then adhered them to the top and bottom of the shelf. A strip of black ribbon on each side and my washi display was finshed.
 
Hope this helps get that washi out more often so you can use it.
 
Check my blog Scrappin' Chaos for a list of supplies.
 
Scrap On!
 
~Charity~


8 comments: