Saturday, January 11, 2014

January Basic Training - Reverse Stenciling

Topic:Reverse Stenciling


Happy Saturday and Happy New Year!!  Thanks for stopping by for our very first basic training of 2014.  Michele here today and I am going to share a technique that can be used on just about ANY project.  I used it on an art journal page for this little demo.


You will need gesso, acrylic paint, sponge or paint brush, baby wipes and stencils.  For this project I started with a page from my art journal.


Cover your surface with a thin coat of gesso.  Let it dry completely.  I am not a patient person so I helped it along with my heat gun but be careful or your gesso will bubble and while I LOVE that technique it cause a bumpy surface and will give you trouble for this technique.
Once your gesso is dry paint on your acrylic paint, I used Distress paint.
While your paint is drying a little take a baby wipe and squeeze out any excess liquid.


Lay your stencil (this is punchinella from Gauche Alchemy) on the paint while it is still a little wet and rub with the wipe.  This removes the paint.


I layered a couple of stencils to create dimension.  This stencil is from UmWow Studios.


After the paint dried completely I wanted even more texture so I used one of the same stencils with some gesso (another of my favorite techniques)


You can layer your paint and layer the different stencils directly on top of each other or spread them around the page...so many options with this but just make sure you let the paint completely dry before you go tot he next layer.

Here is my finished art journal page.


I added stamps from VLVS!, chipboard from UmWow Studios, ribbon from May Arts, washi from Gauche Alchemy, flowers from Prima along with a junkyard finding...you will also notice Tim Holtz filmstrip, paperclip and alphas and Tattered Angels glimmer mists.  Oh, and don't you JUST LOVE vintage Scrabble pieces??!!!

I hope you enjoyed this fun technique and I hope to see it on one of your future projects!  Come back often to play...we have 2 drills every month and your can win fun prizes!

Happy scrappy 2014!

Michele
visit my blog by clicking here :)







No comments:

Post a Comment